7 Self-Care Activities That Can Improve Your Leadership
Yesterday I was talking to a client. He’s a big shot at his company and a marathon runner, but he was telling me that he keeps getting colds. I pointed out that he really needs to do one item of self-care every day.
“Healthcare?” he asked.
He was totally confused. “What do you mean?”
And I explained that he needed to take time out of his busy day to take care of himself.
- He could run a mile
- Curl up in a comfy chair with an article or book that he wanted to read
- Plan and prepare a meal and relax
He was BLOWN away. “Really? Every day? This is amazing!”
When you’re going a million miles an hour and ramping up your career, the idea of self-care is a foreign concept. However, self-care will help you as a leader.
Research tells us that when we slow our minds down to focus on one thing, we are more productive, happier, and more present. We feel better about ourselves, have a higher sense of well-being, and can make deeper connections with people. All of these benefits help you as a leader.
Make a commitment to do one self-care activity today – and every day going forward. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time. Here are 7 more ideas:
- For just two minutes, sit quietly, close your eyes, and focus on your breath.
- Call a friend you haven’t talked to in a while. Sit down, turn off your computer, and enjoy your conversation.
- Eat something that you enjoy. Eat it as slowly as humanly possible. Notice how amazing it tastes.
- Put on music and just move with the rhythm.
Which one will you try today? Find out for yourself how it impacts your leadership!
If you found this article helpful and think someone else would benefit as well, remember, sharing is caring - thank you!